Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The First Step

Well, technically it's more like the fifth step since we've moved lol. But it was the first step in consciously clearing through my things with a goal in mind. I started with my bathroom which may seem like the worst place to start to some. If you remember though, I told you that our bathroom is the size of a closet so it's really not that bad. I don't have a picture to show you, but the medicine cabinet is home to creams, cotton balls, q-tips, scissors, tweezers, lotions, pretty much everything but actual medicine. And the cabinet under the sink is filled with our towels, wash cloths, and toilet paper. We don't store our medicine in the medicine cabinet anymore because I found out that it's actually a bad place for it. This came from the University Of Denver Colorado website:
"Most medicine should be stored at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees, and kept away from moisture as it can make them less potent before their expiration date. This is especially true for tablets and capsules. For example, a warm, muggy environment can cause aspirin tablets to break down into vinegar and salicylic acid, which can irritate the stomach. In fact, salicylic acid is the active ingredient in facial chemical peels. So, you can imagine what it could do to your stomach if you ingest it.
Instead, keep medicines in a cool, dry, secure place out of a child's reach -- perhaps in the kitchen, powder room, or linen closet. If the bathroom is your only option, keep the containers tightly closed. If you store medicines in a kitchen, keep them away from any hot appliances.
Medicine that is improperly stored usually becomes less effective and rarely can become toxic. Follow these tips to prevent danger:
  • Store drugs out of children's reach.
  • Keep medicines in their original container and tightly closed.
  • Cotton can draw moisture into the container, so remove the cotton plug immediately when you receive a new prescription.
  • When you take a drug, check the expiration and replace any medications that are expired.
  • Never use a medication that has changed color, texture, or odor, even if it has not expired.
  • Throw away capsules or tablets that look questionable -- stick together, are harder or softer than normal, or are cracked or chipped.
  • Ask your pharmacist about storage instructions."
  The main thing that I did in the bathroom was throw out everything expired and put all the extra hand towels and towels in my Goodwill box. How many extra towels do you really need? lol Since my bathroom took a total of 10 minutes to do, I decided to move on to the next issue for me. The kitchen. I'll admit, the kitchen is going to be a tough one for me and I'm pretty sure it will require repeat purges until I get it how I imagine. But I just couldn't put off my main cabinet any longer. It's literally a visual irritant to me. Family and friends always comment on how nice it looks, but for some reason it just bothers me. I do have pictures for this part, but I don't have a picture of the cabinet at it's beginning. In the past months I've been decluttering and rearranging it and after today's purge, this is where it's at:
   Oh yeah, my top cabinets don't have doors LOL Which is another motivator for having clean looking cabinets. They were meant to have doors, but everyone said it looked more open without them so we decided to leave them that way. But as you can see, this side is far from being what I envision. My goal is to have it streamline. With matching colors, clear, white, stainless steal and my clear blue dish set. Obviously the sippy cups and sponge bob bowl have to stay haha But hopefully I can find another home for the sippy cups and use the sponge bob bowl as an accent piece maybe? I'm wanting to get matching stainless steal bowls and matching Pyrex bowls. Or maybe just stick with stainless steal bowls and nix the Pyrex all together. I suppose it just depends on what I find. Another drive to simplify this cabinet is the fact that it is the only space I have to store my glasses, bowls and plates. The rest is used for food storage as you can see here:
  And that's it folks. My entire work space other than my small kitchen table. Beside the fridge is my stove and beside that is the doorway into the kitchen. Behind that awesome high chair you see is the backdoor. I have it blocked off because of the construction. I also have a small dresser beside the high chair that is used for more food storage and to hold my microwave and a few other things. I'll post pictures of it when I decide to purge my silverware drawers. Which just might be tomorrow since they really need it. I've also been on the lookout for prettier ways to store food and bothersome items, such as tupperware lids. I've come across some pretty good priced jars at TJ Maxx that happen to have chalkboard paint labels. They were both $2.99 each. Total score right? I've been using them to store my rotini pasta. They hold a full 16oz box with a little bit of room left over. I came across this awesome idea to store tupperware lids on the The Kitchn. If you've never heard of the site, go there now. Seriously. There's a lot of awesome stuff on there. And no, I'm not being paid to say this. Our Epic (Almost) A-Z Guide to Organizing Your Kitchen is the post where this idea comes from.
It's just a cereal box that I cut to fit my cabinet and and lids and spray painted it. I only had two colors on hand. Black and teal. Obviously teal wouldn't have looked right, so black it was LOL You can see it in both pictures. I think it serves it's purpose very well. And since I cut it short, it's easy to take down and get the lid I need. Well, I suppose that's it for today. Hope you had a good one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment